Job details : Associate Conductor - Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
- Added in 14-02-2011
- Company Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
- URL : http://cincinnatisymphony.org/
Commensurate with experience, full benefits and paid vacation.
The Cincinnati Symphony seeks a talented and motivated Associate conductor. The Associate conductor will serve as a member of the CSO conducting staff and will oversee all aspects of education concert programming. Working closely with the Vice President and General Manager and Senior Director of Community Engagement and Learning this person will maintain the highest educational and artistic standards for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. The Associate Conductor is an educator and superb musician with an energetic, engaging, and warm personality who enjoys working collaboratively with musicians and staff.
Responsibilities and Duties:
* Program and conduct the CSO in education concerts which will include student Young People’s concerts and selected community engagement concerts. The Associate conductor will ensure that all education concerts meet the CSO’s high standard of artistic and programming excellence. Programs will demonstrate alignment with national and state standards in Music Education and be developed under the guidance of Pops Conductor John Morris Russell, to achieve strategic goals in the education/community engagement programs
* All education concerts will be developed working closely with the Senior Director of Community Engagement and Learning. Associate conductor will ensure timely and effective planning and communication of all education programming to ensure ample time for production and implementation of planned activities by production, marketing and PR staff.
* Conduct the CSO in selected fee engagement concerts including but not limited to parks concerts, CSO run-out performances and Pops concerts.
* Cover all CSO and Pops rehearsals and concerts and provide musical assistance to conductors for CSO rehearsals and concert programs, the May Festival (James Conlon, Music Director), as well as pops programs (John Morris Russell, Pops Conductor) by addressing such issues as balance in the hall and conducting off-stage musicians as needed.
* The Associate conductor will be fully prepared to step in for any guest conductor in the event of illness, emergency or other circumstances that prevent their appearance.
* Conduct all off-stage ensembles (“banda,” etc.) as required by repertory.
* Serve as spokesperson, as requested, for community events such as classroom and education visits, fundraising and media activities.
* Assist in the efficient, timely and high quality production of all CSO subscription concert radio broadcasts and commercial recordings which includes but is not limited to obtaining edits from conductors/guest soloists and working with audio engineer to finalize finished broadcast recording.
* Provide program/music research and library work when needed.
* Provide complete and timely proofing assistance for all CSO program books.
* Maintain a consistently positive, respectful, trusting and professional relationship with all CSO musicians, staff and board members.
* Serve as a public speaker for pre-concert lectures, school classroom visits, and community events.
* Provide assistance during CSO auditions as needed.
* Other related duties may be assigned by the CSO Vice President and General Manager, May Festival Music Director, Pops Conductor or CSO Creative Directors.
* The Associate conductor must demonstrate exceptional musicianship and conducting skills. A broad knowledge of orchestra repertoire is a must with deep experience programming educational concerts which are thoughtful, engaging and age appropriate. Prior experience with a professional orchestra is strongly desired.
* The Associate conductor should possess excellent and timely written and oral communication skills and demonstrate particular skill engaging audiences of all ages.
* The Associate conductor should be highly organized and demonstrate self-motivating drive and consistency meeting all set organizational timelines and program planning deadlines.
* This position requires full-time residence in Cincinnati, Ohio or the immediate surrounding area.
* Successful completion of background check is required for selected candidate.
Cincinnati Ohio, UNITED STATES